Today I got a notification from WordPress letting me know that a year ago today I first created my account. Clearly I was looking for some form of escapism from the daily grind at work near the end of term when kids start to literally go crazy about Christmas. Every year, this pre-holiday mania chips away at my sanity until I am eating smarties (British M&M’s) out of holiday sized tubes for breakfast, and the laying out any leftovers on my desk in front of a class, and picking away at them in order of colour (orange always comes last because they taste like chocolate orange). Have I mentioned how deliriously happy I am that I finish at 3pm on Friday? If not: I am.
Anyway, back to the anniversary… I am actually relatively surprised that I have remained fairly diligent about updating posts (even though I am now 100% convinced that my parents have no interest in what I write here, and only check when I fly several thousands of miles to visit them and FORCE them to read sections). I think it’s like the adult equivalent of not turning your flour baby into pancakes over the weekend. Well done, slut!*
In running news, my shins are still assholes, and I haven’t run in a week. I have, however, taken to the pool to fill my evenings, and am pleased to say that despite having about, oh, 15 years between now and my last training session with my swim team, I don’t suck hard. I can actually hear my old coach (Dave Strah of the Ponca City Sailfish, FYI) nagging me to “kick more” when I notice my legs floating effortlessly behind me as my shoulders burn. If he ever self-googles, this might come across as creepy.
Anyway, I’m beginning to feel festive and despite my mortal shins, I am happy about a lot of things:
- If the world doesn’t end, as the Mayans apparently predicted, then the days here start to get longer, and I really like daylight. A lot.
- If the world DOES end, my home insurance is due to be renewed on the 22nd, so I guess there’s always a silver lining.
- It’s nearly Christmas break.
- I get my secret Santa gift at work tomorrow.
- I finished my fourth year reports today!
- I am so tired that stuff that might normally stress me out just seems to initiate crazed laughter.
- I just might re-discover the meaning of ‘a good night’s sleep’.
*Note to self: shortening ‘medalslut’ in order to create a term of endearment does not work.