Hoka Highland Fling 2014

Time: 14:20:30

Medal: Yes


Let me just state, before I go on, that I have an irrational fear of death. I pretty much see it as the end of the line, and it terrifies me that I have a shelf life that there’s nothing I can do about it. Because of this, I have grown to be scared of things that I used to be fine about when I was a kid. Like flying. Turbulence is a white-knuckle experience, without fail, and can bring me to tears. And Space, because I can’t deal with not knowing where everything ends. And my health.

I have, on more occasions that I care to admit, worn my heart rate monitor to bed because I had convinced myself that my heartbeat was irregular, and that I would have a heart attack in the middle of the night. It’s reassuring to be able to see that it’s normal (for me), and I can start to relax and go to sleep. I get paranoid whenever my body does weird stuff: heart palpitations, tingles, strange pains that occur anywhere (even if they last less than a second and never appear again), feeling faint – this list continues ad nauseam. It’s a really, really, really annoying thing to deal with sometimes, though I can tolerate it more now that I seem to have stopped getting panic attacks regularly. That made things like going to watch a film pretty much futile, because I’d spend half the time in the bathroom analyzing my pupils with my fingers glued to my neck checking my pulse like a moron.  Basically, irrational freak outs are a thing with me, but I would rather look like a lunatic than worry about my imminent death.

During the Highland Fling, there were moments where I felt I would have welcomed death. My fingers were swollen to the point that they resembled link sausages, my ankle felt like it was being stabbed, the blisters on my feet were getting blisters, and at one point I was shin deep in cow shit asking myself why I thought this was a reasonable idea and stating, clearly and resolutely, “Never again.” But finally crossing that line, totally buzzing despite it being several hours after the fastest runners had come through, was enough to change that, “Never again,” to, “Maybe.”


Let’s rewind to Friday. After I finished work, I dragged all of my kit, in the pouring rain, to Aberdeen train station, where I boarded my train to Glasgow. I was soggy, the train was packed, I spent the entire journey worrying about my suitcase falling on my head. It was a less than fabulous experience. My friend, Grant, met me at the station, and we got a taxi back to his (via the shop for some supplies). And then we ordered a colossal amount of pizza, and watched a couple of episodes of ‘Freaks and Geeks’, which I had never heard of before, and probably would never have watched thanks to the title alone had Grant not convinced me that it is, in fact, a fabulous representation of what high school was like in the 90’s. I eventually got to sleep sometime after 11pm, with my alarm set for 3:30. In the morning.

I had arranged to share a taxi to Milgavie, about 10 miles north of Glasgow city centre, with two fellow runners, Belo and Maja, who were running the race while on holiday from Slovakia. The forecast for the day was abysmal, and as I watched the trees get battered by rain and wind outside as I got dressed, my heart sank. Thankfully, the rain had dwindled to a drizzle by the time I got a text from Belo saying they were on their way, and I lugged my belongings downstairs (Grant lives on the 7 millionth floor) to wait. The taxi arrived at about 4:20am, and about 20 minutes later we were at Milgavie train station to register.

To everyone’s relief, the drizzle was as bad as it got, and by about 5:30, the sky was overcast, but the rain had cleared. I had handed over my kit bag for the finish line, and stripped down to what I considered to be suitable layers for the day (gloves that could withstand -30 C temperatures, and my tornado-proof hiking jacket), feeling a tad overdressed next to some of the runners in lycra short shorts and a vest top, but whatever, I’m Texan.


I feel ya, Calvin.

I feel ya, Calvin.

As well as my kit bag, I had also handed over my drop bags, which was arguably as big a deal as turning up to the start line for me. Knowing I would not be breaking any course records is nothing new – I’m not the fastest runner, and I’ve only managed to ‘win’ a prize for finishing first female once. During a charity event’s inaugural run. Dressed as Santa. I’m pretty competitive when I know I have a chance of winning something, so when I found out there was a competition for the best drop bag at the first main check point, Balmaha, I basically devoted the week in the lead-up to the Fling to the creation of my drop bag. Because there was an actual chance I could win something! 4 rolls of duct tape, an empty coffee jar, a small cardboard box, 3 toilet roll tubes, and a packet of Sharpies later, I had created my masterpiece:


2014-04-24 20.27.44

10275296_10154008058380234_302507006197446341_oI gingerly handed over my entry to one of the marshalls, and set about finding some familiar faces, the first being Rhona and Graeme next to their ‘ultravan’. Graeme was marshalling, so he was busy collecting in drop bags, while Rhona and I went in search of some of the other ladies we were planning on running with. We found Iona and Jemma, who were sweeping the first half of the race and wished us good luck, then listened to the race director, ‘Johnny Fling’, brief us from the kit truck.


Photo: Stuart McFarlane

Photo: Stuart MacFarlane

Finally, with about 7 minutes before the race start, we stumbled upon Kate, Vicky, Tracey, and some other Stonehaven runners, managing a quick photo.


Photo: Rhona (redwinerunner.co.uk)

Photo: Rhona (www.redwinerunner.co.uk)

A few of us, being Fling virgins, had decided to run as a group, and we made nervous/excited chatter until we heard the horn go off signalling the start. We shuffled forwards under a bridge, beeping over the starting mats and heading straight up some stairs, before veering left towards the start of the West Highland Way.


Photo: Iona MacKay

Photo: Iona MacKay

I was under the impression that the first 12ish miles to Drymen were flat, but I quickly understood that to mean ‘flat’.  As in, undulating, but no really steep ascents.  That part was nice, and we happily bumbled along as a group, chatting about quitting jobs, weddings, and selling and buying houses.  A couple of miles before Drymen, I realized, to my horror, that I needed the toilet.  In more than a 30-seconds-by-the-side-of-the-road kind of way.  Sadly, the queue for the single porta loo at Drymen was substantial, and I was convinced to hold on until Balmaha for some respite.  And so we continued.

Me - 40 layers.  Everyone else - shorts + shirt.

Me – 40 layers. Everyone else – shorts + shirt.

Rhona and I pulled ahead a little before Balmaha as there was a bathroom break by a couple of our group, and I was getting cold standing around.  Besides – none of us were planning on bombing through the checkpoint, so we intended to meet each other there.  Just after 19 miles, and we turned a corner into the check point.  The atmosphere was amazing (thank you marshalls!), and Graeme handed my my drop bag, telling me, “You’ve won!”  I was confused for a moment until I realized he meant the drop bag competition (my brain was clearly not firing on all cylinders), and that was just the pick-me-up I needed after 7 miles of churning bowels.  Vicky, Tracey, and Kate were only a couple of minutes behind us, and once we had all refilled our camelbaks and taken on the food we wanted, we set off towards Rowardennan.

Thankfully, a little after the Balmaha checkpoint there are some fancy public toilets.  As Rhona and I were a little ahead of the others, I took the necessary decision to seek sweet relief in the luxurious cubicle (plumbing, toilet seat, loo roll, AND a hook for my camelbak), and though an incomplete evacuation, it was enough to help me feel like I wasn’t going to soil myself.  I vocalized my pleasure to the group as I returned, and we set off again.

Photo: Ian Russell

Photo: Ian Russell

This part of the course was a little bit more technical than the start, and it was a nice distraction having to concentrate on where your feet were going.  Before I knew it, we were coming into Inversnaid.

Photo: Stuart MacFarlane

Photo: Stuart MacFarlane

As Rhona and I had been a little ahead for the last while, I had forgotten, in the absense of task master Vicky, to take on food at regular intervals, and I had started to feel dizzy, nauseous, and tired.  I started cranking up the food intake, and thankfully after about half an hour I started to feel a bit more human, but I felt like I’d gone from feeling fine, to struggling in the space of a couple of miles.

From here, things get a bit blurry.  I know the lochside leg was slow and there was quite a bit of clambering over slippery rocks.  Though I did crack my bad ankle on a rock, and Kate had a nasty looking fall, thankfully none of us suffered the same fate as one poor woman who fell and smashed her jaw in five places and had to be taken to hospital for surgery (though I hear she still ran the 5 miles to the next checkpoint after her extreme tumble).  Rhona went ahead on her own, and that’s the last we saw of her until the end.

The four of us kept each other going, our main mission to get to Bein Glas before the 5:30 pm cut-off, which we managed with plenty of time to spare.  From there, we consoled ourselves that there were ‘only’ 12 miles left.  I’m so glad I didn’t extensively study the course elevation profile before, because if I knew what was to come I might have cried. From about 45 miles, every time I tried to run, my ankle was screaming at me, and eventually I told Vicky that I was pretty sure I’d have to walk my way in.

Highland Fling elevation profile

Highland Fling elevation profile

I think Vicky was suffering a bit as well, so Kate and Tracey went on ahead, and Vicky and I resorted to speed-walking.  We went through the infamous Cow Poo Alley (which was ripe thanks to all the recent rain), and at one point I was shin deep in muck.  We met an impass in the trail at one point due to a herd of unfriendly looking cows, and opted to climb up the hill and around them as a detour.  And about 4 miles from the end, my bowels felt as though they would erupt, so I sent Vicky ahead a few paces, and went scurrying into the woods for my first ever al fresco crap.  It was definitely a low point in my life.

Looking back at the bastard cows.

Looking back at the bastard cows.

At this stage I had thrown all my toys out of the pram and was sulkily wading through the streams instead of nimbly prancing over the rocks to keep my feet dry.  After all, I had a thick, creamy layer of cow shit to wash off.  My Garmin, which is a dirty fucking liar, beeped for mile 53, but there was no end in sight.  Despite my inner tantrums, Vicky and I managed to stay cheerful by chatting all the way to Tyndnrum, finally being encouraged by the marshalls shouting, “only 600 metres to go!”.  Vicky and I had made a pact to run across the line, and as soon as we saw the red carpet laid out for us, we picked up to a trot, and finished as we’d started – chatting and smiling:

858697_1472344089648928_2818653848334701613_oAfter having the chip cut off from my ankle, getting my medal, tech shirt, and goody bag (complete with bottle of fizz!), I made my way into a heated marquee and had a seat with some amazing lentil soup.

Before long, I was being presented with my prize for the winning drop bag, which is WAY more than I was expecting, and I did wonder how I would manage to cart everything upstairs to my apartment when I got home the next day (thankfully Ian was in).  I didn’t really get a chance to explore the Scottish hamper until I got back to Aberdeen, and it was better than Christmas.  Everything on that table?  Currently on my living room floor.  Apart from wee Nessie – that’s in bed with the stuffed huskies I couldn’t bear to part with after pulling them behind me at Loch Ness last year.


Photo: Stuart MacFarlane

Photo: Stuart MacFarlane

Photo: Stuart MacFarlane

Photo: Stuart MacFarlane

After hobbling off the podium, Graeme and Vicky’s husband, Ian, helped collect my bags, and Jemma and Iona helped me take my stuff to the bed and breakfast (Oh my god, thank you so much!), where I showered and put on some clean clothes, before heading with Kate and her husband, Ali, up to the hall for some food.

After nearly falling asleep into our dinner, we said goodnight, and I slept like a baby.  Until my work alarm, which I had forgotten to disable, woke me up.  Thanks, idiot me.

Despite the pain of the last 7-8 miles, I can honestly say I had a great experience.  The course was more challenging than I was expecting, and it’s always nerve-wracking running in unknown territory (for me, anything over 33 miles), but the whole event was so well organized, and all the helpers and runners were on top form.  Free booze at the end also helps soften the blow.  Commiserations to any of the runners who had to DNF, despite putting in a tough slog, but there’s always next year.

Considering on Saturday I probably would have been willing to break my own legs to have a legitimate reason not to run this ever again, I’m rather disconcerted that I am genuinely considering returning in 2015.*

Photo: Lorna McMillan

Photo: Lorna McMillan



*To defend my title, obviously.


38 thoughts on “Hoka Highland Fling 2014

  1. I always love your race reports. Congratulations on finishing such a hardcore event, I would have been curled in a little sobbing ball before getting to the drop bags!

    And, amazing! I love your little Lego lady – did she survive the event?

    • Thanks – I was close to a sobbing ball, but realized that would get me nowhere, and I wanted to be at the end!

      Lego lady did survive – she’s sitting amongst the drop bag prize loot. She’ll live out the rest of her days on a shelf in my classroom. 🙂

  2. I was looking forward to this post for a while. Mostly because I was excited to read about your journey into the unfathomably long distance of 53 miles, but also because a sick, twisted part of me MISSES last year’s ultra adventures. So I wanted a reason to vicariously jump into the fray and re-live those arduous last miles.

    So on that note, congratulations on getting through the entire distance. Did you get to 50 and think, %&$@ why are there still three left? I laughed at how livid you got at your Garmin and all the angry energy you were radiating leading up to that. I wouldn’t have been happy to wade through cowshit either. That’s just sadistic.

    I enjoyed your cavalier “Just after 19 miles” reference, as if it were no big thing. In comparison to 53, it’s not, but still … doesn’t it make you feel badass to nonchalantly knock out 19 miles without much complaint? If that’s not the lesson to learn, I don’t know what is.

    How’d your stomach cooperate for the last 10 miles? Mine would probably doing somersaults because I can’t seem to figure out an optimal nutritional strategy for these things. Alas. And this post’s Lord of the Rings word is “Rowardennan.”

    Best of luck surpassing your drop bag genius in 2015!

    • Ha ha, the first few hours of the day were really misty, and some of that cleared when we were atop Conic hill (the first main hill of the course). It made me think of your LOTR comparisons and gave me a chuckle. So thanks for that. 🙂 As for my nonchalent attitude to ample mileage – we all kind of laughed when I said, “only 19 miles ’til the finish”, as if that was no biggie. It’s a little crazy.

      The cow shit is, apparently, largely down to a disgruntled farmer whose land is divided by the track. He gets grumpy every year when the race is on, so he pulls his feeding troughs for the cows ONTO THE TRAIL. We showed our appreciation by dumping our rubbish in it.

      As for the stomach? After I got acquainted with nature, I was fine until the finish, but let’s just say I was glad to have a moment to myself in the B&B.

      On that note, are you sure you can’t be tempted to try out another sickening distance? Or are you saving that for when you destroy your 50 states half marathon challenge?

    • You’ll maybe manage to twist my arm…. It might not have seemed it (I was a tad on the tired side), but I was glad to see you at the end, especially hearing you’d been out for a run already! 🙂 And thanks for convincing me to take one of the bottles of beer – it’s in the fridge as I type.

  3. Bloody brilliant, well done! I know the cows angered you but that photo you took is absolutely gorgeous. The dual medals are also particularly impressive 🙂

  4. great write-up. congrats on the drop bag medal! I think you passed me a few times along the way before leaving me behind once and for all just before Bein Glas…..well done!

  5. I had the same thought as Dan… what’s up with the sadistic bonus 3 miles? I guess race directors wouldn’t be race directors if they knew when to say “enough”. And clearly they know their demographic well. Why is it the runner’s mind can go from zero (“NEVER AGAIN”) to sixty (“Can’t wait for next year’s race!!!”) in just the time it takes to cross the finish line?

    Huge congrats on a tremendous accomplishment. This one’s been looming on the schedule for a while now, through the calf injury and the ankle pain and the cell-phone-meets-face and everything else. Not only that, but to knock out 20 miles more than you’d ever run before is stunning, really. For your next post, I’d like to see a flowchart of which blisters gave rise to which other blisters.

    I’d say your winning Lego drop bag was the perfect exclamation point on a day in which everything really WAS awesome.

    • Smooooooooooooth Lego movie reference, Mike. And thank you! I’m assuming the sadistic 3 is largely down to the fact that it’s 53 miles from the start to the wee village where the race ends (I mean, imaging having to walk 3 miles with luggage to a Bed and Breakfast instead of about 600 yeards)!

      It’s also along the West Highland Way, which is a 95 (ish) mile path. There’s another ultra that covers the second part, and an ultra that covers the entire thing in 36 hours (eff that!).

      I would look into the flowchart idea, but I have a feeling everyone (except me) is tired of me talking about my feet. And pictures. They really don’t like the pictures. 🙂

  6. Great write up. I loved the comment about your Garmin being ‘a dirty f**king liar’. Well done for finishing and an even bigger well done for winning the drop bag competition. I had been wondering who had won that until I read your blog!

    • I’m sorely tempted to go back next year for the drop bag competition. It has kept me full and hydrated since my return, and supplies show no immediate signs of dwindling! 🙂

  7. Awesome run, awesome report MS. It’s truly amazing what is possible when one’s mind takes on and conquers the pain and suffering. I’m also impressed your Garmin lasted the distance as well so give it a break 🙂

    • I forgot to turn the thing off when I removed it for my shower, left it on when I went up to the ceilidh for food, and it was STILL on when I returned at about 10:30/11 that night!

  8. WOOO-EEEE. Congratulations! The thought of running that many miles and that many hours is so completely insane, and you did it in drizzle, cow shit, and with the threat of erupting bowels. And you are SMILING at the end. AMAZING! Seriously. And congratulations on the drop bag award. When you posted that picture of (did you name her?) on Instagram, I wasn’t quite sure what it was, but you definitely deserve a prize for that!

    Good luck with recovery. I can’t even imagine what something like this does for the body. Are you even able to walk?

    And I am also terrified of space/infinity/nothingness to the point where it kept me awake as an 8 year old along with being an insufferable hypochondriac, so I absolutely understand your pain.

    • I was a bit stiff afterwards, and on the Sunday, but big improvement on Monday, and as normal Tuesday. Or at least that’s what I thought until I took part in a 1 hour spin class last night. Trying a gentle 5k tonight to see if there’s any improvement in the legs.

      And YES. I used to freak myself out when I was trying to go to sleep (it was always when I was trying to go to sleep) and thought about where space ends/dying. I used to pace my room, then sneak to the living room and watch re-runs of Friends on the lowest volume setting so I wouldn’t wake anyone up. I wish I could say things have changed… Thankfully Ian knows when I shoot bolt upright in bed, start hyperventilating, and then get up and start busying myself that I am not possessed, just need some time to shut my brain down.

  9. You are bada$$!! Love the Lego drop-bag, although I don’t remember any of my childhood Lego people sporting cleavage.
    I’m considering an ultra in March 2015 – my first. It’s a 50 . . . kilometer. My running craziness has yet progressed to the stage of thinking anything over 31 miles is achievable.
    Keep blogging! I’m really enjoying your reports.

      • It’s a small race called the Holiday Lake 50k. It’s a mid-Feb. run through the woods and streams of central Virginia, near Appomattox.
        I’ve got to run at least one Scottish race in my race. Oddly, the more miserable the race, the more pride I take in finishing.
        Keep setting the badass bar higher. It is fueling my competitiveness…

  10. Great write up, well done. Nice to hear it’s not just me with an irrational fear of death and suffered with eating enough in the race.

    Well done too on the bag drop win. An amazing collection of swag.

    • It is indeed! I’m still waking up in the morning and deciding what treat I’ll rummage for in the pile of food that has taken over my living room!

      As far as eating goes, I think next time I run an ultra I’ll need to carry an egg timer with me.

  11. Wahoooo! Huge well done again! I meant to comment on this last week but I totally forgot. I was driving through Tyndrum yesterday and I got a wee bit sad that it’s all over for another year… The build up to it was just awesome! I’ll definitely be involved on the whole thing next year (if I can get a place!) and I may have to attempt to claim your drop bag title….
    Was so nice to finally meet you in person! Accent was nothing like I thought it would be!! haha!
    Hoping that my legs are more than ready for the hills of the Strathearn marathon now. You coming to join us for that one?

    • Don’t think so – I’m taking May off running long, but then a quick build up for the Giants head marathon at the end of June. Decided on the Speyside Way ultra (think Jemma’s running) in late August as well, though I think it’s the same date as the Big Swim.

      I actually finally got a look at the R2D2 drop bag entry (think it came third in the end), and I think I’m happy I didn’t see it before the race or I would have had a panic about my own entry! But I am definitiely up for some friendly competition next year. 🙂

      Nice to meet you (briefly) too, and thanks again for the help afterwards and enthusiastic cheers!

  12. Awesome effort for both the run and the Lego drop bag woman. The thing that has me most baffled and admiring is how on earth you managed to run from Drymen to Balmaha *without* a toilet stop when you really *needed* a toilet stop. I’ve been in this position, and a mile is about as far as I can get…and sometimes not even that!

    • “With a tightly clenched asshole” is pretty much the best answer I can give you. It wasn’t pleasant, unlike the toilet stop just out of Balmaha, which was blissful. 🙂

  13. Wow! Excellent race report! Thanks, this is very entertaining hope you continue doing this. Ive been trying to find some good reviews with race medals to try and inspire me to sign up for some of the races and I’m glad I could check them out here first! I’m not too sure I’d be up for D33 anytime soon but at least now I know what kind of prep I need to do! Hehe
    Will be following your next adventures! 🙂

  14. Pingback: The West Highland Way | Medal Slut

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s