There are 9 days until my first marathon and I am calmly freaking out. This basically equates to looking 100% laid back, but inside my brain my thoughts are basically an endless stream of what-the-fuck’s. I know my physio said to avoid running (and any impact activities) until the big day after the Crathes half, but I am a grown ass woman, and I can make adult decisions on my own, thank you very much!
Translation: Last night I went for an 8.5 mile run in the rain on the trails at Hazelhead Park.
The colder weather is coming in, the sun was out (when I started), and I guess I needed to know that I could still run a decent distance without collapsing in a heap of pain. Plus, I figured if I was going to create more pain, it would be better to test things this week rather than merely days before the marathon. It turns out my calf/shin is still sore, but it has majorly improved since last week (and the 2, 3, maybe 4 weeks – how long did I ignore this – before). So I might have to have another test run (like 6-7 miles) this weekend, and then maybe a short run next week. You know, just to be sure, or something.
Anyway, in less boring injury related news, I am celebrating my Friday off (I get Monday off too, thank you September long weekend!) in style! I went to an abs class this morning and then did Body Pump. After that I met Ian for lunch (a curry and beer – still in my gym kit, nothing but class), and I’m feeling suitably merry as I type! I also picked up some essentials for next weekend (and have one or two things I’m going back into town for later). These include:
- high 5 gels, even though they have Cliff Shots along the course – I am not used to them.
- Smuckers peanut butter and jelly (strawberry) from a shop that sells unhealthy American food for about 10 times the retail price. This is my ultimate pre-race meal, with bread, obviously.
- a cheap ipod shuffle, for ONLY running tunes, and so that I don’t risk destroying my fancy (and not cheap) Sony mp3 player
- New running tights (because why not?)
- Beer (for my fridge, to greet me upon arrival back home)
Anyway, the beer I consumed with lunch is telling me I need a siesta before I head back out, so I think I’ll get on that, STAT!